Monday, October 15, 2007

Are There Any Real Men Left Out There?

Are there any real men left out there? In society's attempt to make the male population of our species more kind, sensitive and gentle, the male has also lost his manliness. We have become mush spines, afraid to show any sign of machismo for fear of being called Neanderthals. We're afraid to speak our minds because we might be found to be politically incorrect or, worse, a male chauvinist.

As for me, I'm a member of a dying breed, a breed on the verge of extinction. I like football not ballet. I want to see a rodeo not an opera. I'll take a boxing match over golf any day.

When it comes to my music, I want to hear country music not a symphony. Now I'm not speaking of the "new" country music that's being played today. I like my country raw, like it used to be. I want to hear songs about manly troubles: broken marriages, whisky, fighting, rodeos, pickups, trains, prison and Mama.

When eating, I want manly food. I like big, thick steaks not sushi. And concerning that steak, leave the fat around the edges and cook it well-done. I want the fat (oh, oh, there's the "F" word again) around the edges to crunch when I eat it. Sure, this will plug my heart with cholesterol, but, hey, cholesterol is a manly disease; that's how I want to die, like a man.

Feed me barbecued ribs with mashed potatoes and gravy--none of that stir-fry stuff, thank you very much. Give me grits, hotcakes with syrup on them, fried eggs with runny yokes to dip my buttered toast in and a pile of hash browns fried in butter the way Grandma used to make them. Don't give me that bran stuff with skim milk on it, along with whole-wheat bread lightly touched with margarine. No sir, I want a man's meal.

I'm tired of movies in which the male lead is a thin, little wisp of a guy who spends most of the picture pondering the meaning life; who grows gray hairs worrying about whether or not he is sensitive enough to the needs of others; and spends his quiet moments trying to get in touch with his feminine side. Give me those good, old, John Wayne movies. Now there was a man's man. Whether Wayne was in a cowboy picture, a detective picture or a war flick, the characters he played were as gruff and manly as they come. Nope, there aren't too many like John Wayne around anymore.

When I was a kid, I had real men as my heroes. They were cowboys, mountain men, policemen, army men, football players and the like. They were tough, brave, strong and fearless. The youngsters these days of have charactors like Bart Simpson, Napolean Dynamite, and the gang of South Park to look upon as heroes.

Call me a dinosaur, insensitive, a throw-back to an earlier time--whatever, but I believe that the word macho should be the rallying cry for the few of us real men left in the world to unite in an effort to bring our breed back from the edge of extinction.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to hurry and get the house cleaned and dinner cooked before everybody at my household gets home from work.

10 comments:
kristi noser said...
Hear! Hear! I have noticed the subtle, (and sometimes not so) changing of attitude in this country. I call it "the girling of America". I too want my man to be a man, not a woman. Hey Doug, make sure to put the toilet seat down when you're done cleaning.
Monday, October 8, 2007 5:32:00 AM EDT

Valerie said...
ahhhhhh, knuckle-dragger.ah for the days when men were men and the women loved them. now get me some bon-bons.
Monday, October 8, 2007 10:27:00 AM EDT

cmk said...
The days when men were men and women were women. BRING THEM BACK! But first, put the dishes in the dishwasher, do the vacuuming, and bring me my beer--the hockey game is about to start! :)
Monday, October 8, 2007 3:04:00 PM EDT

BAGS said...
Hey, just posted. I think you'll get a kick out of it. It's a little different than my previous posts!
Monday, October 8, 2007 9:13:00 PM EDT

skrpndiva said...
OMG, my dh would Sooooooo agree with you. He hates anything remotely, as he terms it, 'sissy'. I agree, society as a whole has gotten out of hand!Nice entry this week. I liked it. Jacquie
Monday, October 8, 2007 9:35:00 PM EDT

Renae said...
Hey Doug!!I agree with it all !!
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:23:00 PM EDT

Doug Bagley said...
Kristi, Growing up in a family of all boys and having only sons, I think I can safely as the questions we guys secretly want to know the answer to: Why don't women put the seat up when they're done with the commode? Who made the rule that we have to put it down when we're done? Just curious, LOL!
Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:00:00 PM EDT

kristi noser said...
It keeps the dog out of the bowl. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
Friday, October 12, 2007 4:46:00 PM EDT

Anonymous said...
This post has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:01:00 AM EDT

Rachel said...
You might have made a good pirate Doug!! You made me hungry talking about all that high cholesterol food!! It's hard to find men like John Wayne around anymore, that's for sure!
Monday, October 15, 2007 10:53:00 AM EDT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug, I was wondering if you ever lived in Batavia Ohio?
If so I am an old friend

Doug Bagley said...

Never have, Anonymous but might be a few distant relatives up that way